As a result of the recognition of the immunomodulatory and anti-inflammatory activity of various stem cell classes, the impact of these cells has been investigated on an increasing number of autoimmune diseases.
Among these, rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is a prototypic autoimmune disease characterized by chronic inflammation of the joints. Several studies have demonstrated the efficacy of stem cell therapy in animal models of RA, and a few clinical trials have been conducted in patients with this disease.
Allergic diseases are another group of disorders characterized by chronic inflammation. Interestingly, some studies have suggested that stem cells may have a role in the development and/or maintenance of allergic immunity.
Ankylosing spondylitis (AS) is a chronic inflammatory disease of the spine and joints. Although the etiology of AS is not fully understood, there is growing evidence that it is an autoimmune disorder. A few clinical studies have explored stem cell use in treating AS, with promising results.
In conclusion, stem cells represent a promising approach to treating autoimmune and allergic diseases. Further research elucidates the mechanisms underlying these cells’ therapeutic effects and optimizes their use in the clinic.
1. Wang S, Zhu R, Li H, Li J, Han Q, Zhao RC. Mesenchymal stem cells and immune disorders: from basic science to clinical transition. Front Med. 2019;13(2):138-151. doi: 10.1007/s11684-018-0627-y.
2. Yang C, Wu M, You M, Chen Y, Luo M, Chen Q. The therapeutic applications of mesenchymal stromal cells from human perinatal tissues in autoimmune diseases. Stem Cell Res Ther. 2021;12(1):103. doi: 10.1186/s13287-021-02158-3.
3. Liu L, Wong CW, Han M, Farhoodi HP, Liu G, Liu Y, et al. Meta-analysis of preclinical studies of mesenchymal stromal cells to treat rheumatoid arthritis. EBioMedicine. 2019. pii: S2352-3964(19)30595-X. doi: 10.1016/j.ebiom.2019.08.073.
4. Álvaro-Gracia JM, Jover JA, García-Vicuña R, Carreño L, Alonso A, Marsal S, et al. Intravenous administration of expanded allogeneic adipose-derived mesenchymal stem cells in refractory rheumatoid arthritis (Cx611): results of a multicentre, dose escalation, randomised, single-blind, placebo-controlled phase Ib/IIa clinical trial. Ann Rheum Dis. 2017;76(1):196-202. doi: 10.1136/annrheumdis-2015-208918.
5. Ghoryani M, Shariati-Sarabi Z, Tavakkol-Afshari J, Ghasemi A, Poursamimi J, Mohammadi M. Amelioration of clinical symptoms of patients with refractory rheumatoid arthritis following treatment with autologous bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells: A successful clinical trial in Iran. Biomed Pharmacother. 2019;109:1834-1840. doi: 10.1016/j.biopha.2018.11.056.
6. Wang L, Huang S, Li S, Li M, Shi J, Bai W, et al. Efficacy and Safety of Umbilical Cord Mesenchymal Stem Cell Therapy for Rheumatoid Arthritis Patients: A Prospective Phase I/II Study. Drug Des Devel Ther. 2019;13:4331-4340. doi: 10.2147/DDDT.S225613.
7. Luque-Campos N, Contreras-López RA, Jose Paredes-Martínez M, Torres MJ, Bahraoui S, Wei M, Espinoza F, et al. Mesenchymal Stem Cells Improve Rheumatoid Arthritis Progression by Controlling Memory T Cell Response. Front Immunol. 2019;10:798. doi: 10.3389/fimmu.2019.00798.
8. Ghoryani M, Shariati-Sarabi Z, Tavakkol-Afshari J, Mohammadi M. The Sufficient Immunoregulatory Effect of Autologous Bone Marrow-Derived Mesenchymal Stem Cell Transplantation on Regulatory T Cells in Patients with Refractory Rheumatoid Arthritis. J Immunol Res. 2020;2020:3562753. doi: 10.1155/2020/3562753.
9. Lopez-Santalla M, Fernandez-Perez R, Garin MI. Mesenchymal Stem/Stromal Cells for Rheumatoid Arthritis Treatment: An Update on Clinical Applications. Cells. 2020 Aug 7;9(8):1852. doi: 10.3390/cells9081852.
10. Karamini A, Bakopoulou A, Andreadis D, Gkiouras K, Kritis A. Therapeutic Potential of Mesenchymal Stromal Stem Cells in Rheumatoid Arthritis: a Systematic Review of In Vivo Studies. Stem Cell Rev Rep. 2020. doi: 10.1007/s12015-020-09954-z.
11. Liu L, Yuan Y, Zhang S, Xu J, Zou J. Osteoimmunological insights into the pathogenesis of ankylosing spondylitis. J Cell Physiol. 2021. doi: 10.1002/jcp.30313.
12. Wang P, Li Y, Huang L, Yang J, Yang R, Deng W, et al. Effects and safety of allogeneic mesenchymal stem cell intravenous infusion in active ankylosing spondylitis patients who failed NSAIDs: a 20-week clinical trial. Cell Transplant. 2014;23(10):1293-303. doi: 10.3727/096368913X667727.
13. Abdolmohammadi K, Pakdel FD, Aghaei H, Assadiasl S, Fatahi Y, Rouzbahani NH, et al. Ankylosing spondylitis and mesenchymal stromal/stem cell therapy: a new therapeutic approach. Biomed Pharmacother. 2019;109:1196-1205. doi: 10.1016/j.biopha.2018.10.137.
14. Cheng RJ, Xiong AJ, Li YH, Pan SY, Zhang QP, Zhao Y, et al. Mesenchymal Stem Cells: Allogeneic MSC May Be Immunosuppressive but Autologous MSC Are Dysfunctional in Lupus Patients. Front Cell Dev Biol. 2019;7:285. doi: 10.3389/fcell.2019.00285.
15. Wang D, Zhang H, Liang J, Wang H, Hua B, Feng X, et al. A Long-Term Follow-Up Study of Allogeneic Mesenchymal Stem/Stromal Cell Transplantation in Patients with Drug-Resistant Systemic Lupus Erythematosus. Stem Cell Reports. 2018 Mar 13;10(3):933-941.
16. Liang J, Zhang H, Kong W, Deng W, Wang D, Feng X, et al. Safety analysis in patients with autoimmune disease receiving allogeneic mesenchymal stem cells infusion: a long-term retrospective study. Stem Cell Res Ther. 2018;9(1):312. doi: 10.1186/s13287-018-1053-4.
17. Wen L, Labopin M, Badoglio M, Wang D, Sun L, Farge-Bancel D. Prognostic Factors for Clinical Response in Systemic Lupus Erythematosus Patients Treated by Allogeneic Mesenchymal Stem Cells. Stem Cells Int. 2019;2019:7061408. doi: 10.1155/2019/7061408.
18. Radmanesh F, Mahmoudi M, Yazdanpanah E, Keyvani V, Kia N, Nikpoor AR, et al. The immunomodulatory effects of mesenchymal stromal cell-based therapy in human and animal models of systemic lupus erythematosus. IUBMB Life. 2020. doi: 10.1002/iub.2387.
19. Zhou T, Li HY, Liao C, Lin W, Lin S. Clinical Efficacy and Safety of Mesenchymal Stem Cells for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus. Stem Cells Int. 2020;2020:6518508. doi: 10.1155/2020/6518508.
20. Rozier P, Maria A, Goulabchand R, Jorgensen C, Guilpain P, Noël D. Mesenchymal Stem Cells in Systemic Sclerosis: Allogenic or Autologous Approaches for Therapeutic Use? Front Immunol. 2018 14;9:2938. doi: 10.3389/fimmu.2018.02938.
21. Pawlak-Buś K, Schmidt W, Olejarz M, Czyż A, Komarnicki M, Leszczyński P. Autologous hematopoietic stem cell transplant for progressive diffuse systemic sclerosis: procedural success and clinical outcome in 5-year follow-up. Reumatologia. 2019;57(1):50-54. doi: 10.5114/reum.2019.83240.
22. Abedi M, Alavi-Moghadam S, Payab M, Goodarzi P, Mohamadi-Jahani F, Sayahpour FA, et al. Mesenchymal stem cell as a novel approach to systemic sclerosis; current status and future perspectives. Cell Regen. 2020;9(1):20. doi: 10.1186/s13619-020-00058-0.
23. Farge D, Loisel S, Lansiaux P, Tarte K. Mesenchymal stromal cells for systemic sclerosis treatment. Autoimmun Rev. 2021:102755. doi: 10.1016/j.autrev.2021.102755.
24. Park Y, Lee YJ, Koh JH, Lee J, Min HK, Kim MY, et al. Clinical Efficacy and Safety of Injection of Stromal Vascular Fraction Derived from Autologous Adipose Tissues in Systemic Sclerosis Patients with Hand Disability: A Proof-Of-Concept Trial. J Clin Med. 2020;9(9):E3023. doi: 10.3390/jcm9093023.
25. Gernert M, Tony HP, Schwaneck EC, Gadeholt O, Schmalzing M. Autologous hematopoietic stem cell transplantation in systemic sclerosis induces long-lasting changes in B cell homeostasis toward an anti-inflammatory B cell cytokine pattern. Arthritis Res Ther. 2019;21(1):106. doi: 10.1186/s13075-019-1889-8.
26. Tyndall A. Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation for Systemic Sclerosis: Review of Current Status. BioDrugs. 2019;33(4):401-409. doi: 10.1007/s40259-019-00364-3.
27. Liou YM, Wei TY, Ling TY, Lin SC, Yang YH, Chiang BL, et al. Differential effects of mesenchymal stem cells on T cells isolated from childhood allergies and autoimmune diseases. Allergy. 2019;74(10):2006-2010. doi: 10.1111/all.13838.
28. Daltro SRT, Meira CS, Santos IP, Ribeiro Dos Santos R, Soares MBP. Mesenchymal Stem Cells and Atopic Dermatitis: A Review. Front Cell Dev Biol. 2020;8:326. doi: 10.3389/fcell.2020.00326.
29. Li H, Tian Y, Xie L, Liu X, Huang Z, Su W. Mesenchymal stem cells in allergic diseases: Current status. Allergol Int. 2020;69(1):35-45. doi: 10.1016/j.alit.2019.08.001.
Schedule your FREE consultation!
Receive a complimentary consultation with one of a our Stem Cell Therapy Experts and Regenerative Doctors.
Call +1 (302) 551-3530 or fill out the form and one of our specialists will contact you within 24 hours.
Book For A Patient Advocate Follow-Up
Stem cell therapy does not provide a guarantee and is not advertised as a treatment for any cures. This is similar to many other traditional medical treatments. A patient history review is required to determine eligibility and approval for stem cell therapy as an aid to the patient’s body towards supporting the body’s own healing process, if and when possible. All personal information provided is for internal and medical use only by our healthcare providers. Headquartered in Deleware, USA, REJUV, INC. is a resource company and network supplier for REJUVSTEM in Guadalajara and Cancun, Mexico. Rejuv, Inc. is not a stem cell therapy facility or surgical center. These advanced treatments have not yet been approved by the FDA, so they are not available in our office or in the United States. All cell therapies are carried out in Mexico, as regulated by the Ministry of Health, COFERPIS, and other local governments. All treatments are carried out within the legal and regulatory framework of the country in which the particular healthcare provider operates.